I am linking up with @quiltingjetgirl #2018Planning Party. I thought what a good idea, to take stock of my goals for 2017 and to set new ones for 2018.
2017 has been a big year for me personally and professionally. I don’t think I actually set out any concrete goals but had a wishlist of things that I wanted to achieve. My professional quilting interest truly took off in 2015, when I entered an online quilting competition with Husqvarna India and I won 4th prize with my “Joy of Flowers Quilt”, which I call my lucky charm to this date. So here goes:
- That got me noticed and I landed a quilting gig with the Australian Patchwork and Quilting Magazine and the Australian Handmade Magazine – I have now got quite a few quilts and small projects published in 2016/2017.
- I then found out that I can actually turn these into digital patterns and can sell online! Talk about serendipity, I stumbled across Cheryl of Meadow Mist Designs- “Pattern Writing Blog Series“! and I was like Ok! can I actually do this? – Was/is a huge learning curve but I now have two digital patterns for sale on my Etsy Store and Craftsy Store.
- On a personal level I have freed up my time more so I can build my pattern business – I feel blessed that I was able to achieve that.
- I had a quilt commissioned for completion in 2017. It was quite a challenging project as I had designed the quilt based on the owner’s needs and also did a lot of Applique on a quilt for the first time – I completed and delivered the quilt 1 December 2017. Yay! Psst! wait there is more it will be published in a magazine – watch this space.
- I took part in a blog hop with Christa Watson’s book promotion – I made the “Kite Quilt”. I also had the opportunity to test out some bag patterns with Home Maker’s Hustle and Moments Design which was a lot of fun. Learnt a lot about bag making.
- Gosh sounds like a lot does’nt it? and this was just my quilting wish list. Not Everthing was sparkly and bright but that’s life always on a journey.
- Focus on being a better quilt designer:
- Play around more on EQ 8.
- Taking a design course.
- Play with colour/shapes.
- Focus on more pattern writing:
- Get at least 10 digital patterns up for sale on my shops.
- Improve and focus on Modern quilt designs.
- Get a pattern testing group set up.
- Be better at Marketing my digital patterns:
- Pitch more quilt ideas to Magazine’s:
- Continue with AP&Q and Handmade.
- Submit to Make Modern etc.
- Take better care of my health:
- Walk almost daily.
- Start Yoga.
Well, I am sure there will be lots of unplanned things which will come up and I will update.
Thanks Yvonne for hosting this, It will be interesting to take a stock take at the end of the Year!