Muslim prayer mat definition: prayer mat – a small rug used by Muslims during their devotions.
I love making different prayer mats to match the traditional outfits I wear when I go for my prayers for the month of Ramadhan. Here is an easy tutorial to make your very own prayer mat.
- Fabric 1 – 1 metre of a heavy weight printed fabric of your choice.
- Fabric 2 – 1 metre of a plain contrasting fabric of your choice (usually cotton).
- Matching thread for sewing.
- Cut x 1 – top piece from fabric 1.
- Width 35 inches x 46 inches.
- Cut x 1 – inside piece from fabric 2.
- Width 28 inches x 39 inches.
- Place the cut out top piece right side up.
- Then place the cut out plain piece wrong side up in the centre of the top piece as shown in image below.
- Pin in the centre to hold in place ensuring that you have 3.5 inches on all sides of the top piece.
- Joining the sides together by sewing down the length.
- When you are done you will have the printed top piece showing approximately 3.5 inches on the top and bottom.
- Don’t be alarmed if it does not fit perfectly as the top piece is larger than the inside piece.
- Turn inside out and you will have a neat edge.
- Pin and press to flatten as shown in the image below.
- Pin all over to ensure that your top and inside piece lay flat.
- Now work on the top and bottom edges. Turn and fold over as shown in image below.
- Mitre the corners and pin.
- Once pinned and ready, top stitch neatly around all edges.
- Once top stitched your prayer mat is ready for use.
- If you make this prayer mat please share your picture on no3quiltstudio group on facebook.