Constructing the Butterfly Applique Block
What does the Butterfly Applique block look like?
Block templates and my selection of fabric:
- I have uploaded this template in ‘Learn quilting with 7 easy quilt blocks’ group files so please access it from there, if are not able to access please let me know.
- Below are my selection of fabrics.
- For this block I recommend fusible webbing (not compulsory but does makes life easy).
Cutting your fabric:
- This is your base template (91/4″ x 91/4″), I have cut this out on my grey fabric as shown in following pictures.
- Now to cut out the butterfly templates as shown below. I have not shown the other butterfly templates however please proceed to cut those in a similar way.
- If you are using the fusible web then place your templates and cut out as required.
- See below all my cut out fabric templates which are now also fused to the fusible web. What you are seeing in the picture is the back side of my templates in which I will peel off the paper.
- After peeling of the paper this is what your templates will look like. Please note that this is the backside of your templates:
- To make it easier I am going to roll the edges so its easy for my to applique. Please feel free to use whatever method you find easiest to applique.
- Once I have prepared the all the separate butterfly pieces, place your pieces on your base template to form the butterfly. As I have used fusible webbing I am now just going to iron my pieces to the base template as shown below:
- Now your block is ready to be appliqued:
- You can do the applique by hand or by machine. I will be working on my applique block in this break and show you the final results when we reconvene in end May.
Please feel free to ask me any questions. Once finished why don’t you add your block on the shared photo album so I can see what you have created.